Tuesday, October 30, 2012

George MacDonald and Beauty

In an article I wrote last year for the Charles Colson Center, I discussed George MacDonald's views on beauty. I pointed out that as Christians with an interest in worldview issues, there is always the danger that we will become so preoccupied with intellectual questions about the true and the good that we neglect the importance of the beautiful. In my article I discuss how George MacDonald's thought is a useful reminder that the good, the true and the beautiful need to remain intimately connected.

MacDonald understood that it is because of Christ that truth and beauty are as integrally connected as goodness and beauty. The interconnectedness between the trinity of goodness, truth, and beauty meant that to separate any of these three was to do violence to the others. In this he anticipated the thought of the 20th century Roman Catholic theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar, who wrote,
“We no longer dare to believe in beauty and we make of it a mere appearance in order the more easily to dispose of it. Our situation today shows that beauty demands for itself at least as much courage and decision as do truth and goodness, and she will not allow herself to be separated and banned from her two sisters without taking them along with herself in an act of mysterious vengeance.”
To read my article click on the following link:




To join my mailing list, send a blank email to robin (at sign) atgsociety.com with “Blog Me” in the subject heading.
 
Click Here to friend-request me on Facebook and get news feeds every time new articles are added to this blog. 
 
Click Here to follow me on Twitter.
 
Visit my other website: Alfred the Great Society

No comments:

Buy Essential Oils at Discounted Prices!