In January of this year I wrote a blog post called 'Essential Oils', in which I mentioned that Esther and I were in the process of discovering the wonderful benefits of therapeutic-grade essential oils. Since then we have continued to learn many of the fascinating benefits of essential oils, particularly how they can help with children. This has led my wife, Esther, to write the following article explaining how essential oils can be used in First Aid. Below is her article. (The pictures are of Esther applying oils to our daughter Susanna):
First Aid with Essential Oils
The healing properties of plants are indeed wonderful. What a blessing to harness these natural benefits and be confident we are helping and healing, not harming.
As a mother I want to be able to use things to help my family without worrying about the side effects of chemical and synthetic toxins in conventional First Aid kits.
Welcome therapeutic grade essential oils! Plants grown with organic standards of production yield oils which do not contain any contaminants.
Because the distillation process for Young Living oils does not destroy the therapeutic properties inherent in the plant, you can be confident that you are not wasting your money: the full value of the plant will be available to you.
Furthermore, because there are no synthetic solvents and compounds added to extend the oil, as in most 'pure' essential oils sold today, you can be confident in their quality, potency and ability to work as intended. (To learn more about this, see our earlier post 'What is Therapeutic Grade?')
How to Make Your Own Natural First-Aid Kit
So let's see what oils you can use in your Natural First Aid Kit.
- apply 2-4 drops of Lavender Oil directly on the affected area. Spray LavaDerm Cooling Mist directly onto affected area (contains Aloe Vera & Lavender oil). Lavender supports tissue regeneration and reduces scaring. Aloe Vera is anti-inflammatory and tissue regenerating.
- For sunburn, spray LavaDerm Cooling Mist immediately on sunburn and continue misting as necessary. Spray as often as needed. Follow with 2-3 drops of Lavender Oil.
For Insect Bites and Stings:
- Use Purification Blend - apply 1-2 drops on location to disinfect and cleanse. Use Lavender or Peppermint Oil to reduce insect bite-induced itching and infection.
Chigger and Tick Bites:
- Try removing ticks and chiggers by mixing Thyme Oil or Oregano Oil in a 50/50 dilution with a pure oil such as olive oil or almond oil and applying 1-2 drops. The phenols in these oils will usually cause the tick to let go and try to get away from the oil. A single drop of Peppermint Oil should also cause the tick or chigger to come out of the skin. Afterwards apply Purification Blend or Lavender Oil on the bite location.
- Rub on Purification Blend, Lavender Oil or Peppermint Oil.
Cuts, scrapes and minor wounds:
- Use Purification Blend directly. Follow up with Lavender Oil.
- Peppermint Oil will soothe, cool and reduce inflammation in damaged tissue - dilute with Lavender Oil or olive oil 50/50 if it stings, and apply 2-3 drops 1-4 times daily.
- Geranium Oil regenerates and heals the skin.
- The Melrose Blend is a wonderful antiseptic and helps with tissue regeneration. Use topically for cuts, scrapes, burns, rashes and infections. Apply to broken skin and open wounds several times a day. Follow with an ointment like Calendula or Rose Ointment to help seal oils in the wound.
- If there is an open bleeding wound, first use a cold compress with a few drops of Melrose and/or Geranium until bleeding stops.
To Reduce or Control Bleeding:
- Apply a cold compress using five drops of Geranium Oil, five drops of Lemon Oil and two drops of Helichrysum Oil. Follow up with Melrose Blend or Lavender Oil sealed with Calendula or Rose ointment.
- Apply Peppermint Oil or Ginger Oil (you may want to dilute) topically to stomach and gently massage or put 1-3 drops in water and sip.
- Di-Gize Blend is a wonderful blend that relieves digestive problems including indigestion, heartburn, gas and bloating. Gently message on the abdomen. DiGize works really well orally as well! A couple of drops in a glass of water or in a capsule is wonderful. Or you can do both – topically and internally.
- Lemon Oil also works great for acid indigestion (heartburn). A few drops in a glass of water takes care of it within minutes!
- Use either Peppermint, Ginger, Patchaoli, Lavender or Di-Gize. Apply topically behind ears and massage 6-10 drops on stomach and chest 1 hr before traveling and continue using whilst traveling by placing a few drops on the tongue, back of neck, and inhale as needed. Or put 1-3 drops in water and drink as needed. I have found Peppermint Oil to be invaluable on journeys for both tension headaches and motion sickness.
- PanAway Blend reduces pain and inflammation, increases circulation and accelerates healing. It relieves swelling. Dilute 1:1 with olive or almond oil or more if your skin is sensitive and apply 4-6 drops 3 to 5 times daily or as needed. Add to bath water for whole body relief.
- Or Relieve It a blend high in anti-inflammatory compounds that relieve deep tissue pain and muscle soreness. Dilute with almond, coconut or olive oil and massage on area as needed.
- Use either of the above blends in a cold compress to reduce inflammation.
Emotional and Physical Shock and Trauma:
- TraumaLife Blend or Peace and Calming Blend or Lavender. Use after accidents and for shock. Directly inhale and apply to bottom of feet, chest, forehead, back of neck and behind the ears.
- Cool down. Apply Lavender Oil or spray on LavaDerm Cooling Mist.
To Disinfect Surfaces:
- Use Thieves Wipes.
- Put 10 drops of Thieves Blend with one cup of white vinegar and two cups of water for a great surface cleaner.
To Disinfect Hands:
- Use Thieves Hand Sanitizer.
General Immune Booster:
- Use Thieves Blend as a general protection and immune booster to enable the body to fight infections and heal. Apply to bottom feet morning and evening or in need of extra protection, then cup hands around nose and inhale.
Many of the oils highlighted are multi-purpose oils. This is great news for budget minded moms!
Using the information on this page, here is a quick reference to help you put a First Aid Kit together.
Lavender and LavaDerm:
- insect bits and stings to reduce itching and heal
- Cuts and scrapes
- Trauma and distress after an accident
- Prickly Heat
- Insect repellant
- Insect bites and stings
- Insect repellant
- Cuts and scrapes
- Insect bites and stings to reduce itching
- Chigger and Tick bites
- Cuts and scrapes (diluted to reduce inflammation)
- Motion sickness
- Cuts and scrapes and open wounds
- stomach upsets
- motion sickness
PanAway or Relieve-It:
- Sprains and swelling
Thyme or Oregano:
- Strong infection fighters take internally in juice or milk or apply diluted topically
- Chigger and tick bites
- Reduce and control bleeding
- cuts and scrapes
- Trauma or distress
- Diffuse in the air or apply diluted as a great infection fighter and general immune booster
Peace and Calming:
- After an accident
- Cleaner and Purifier
- General disinfectant
Thieves Hand Sanitizer:
- General disinfectant
To really benefit from these and other wonderful oils become a wholesale customer with Young Living Essential Oils. The great thing is that the wholesale enrollment starter kit item number 3700 Start Living with Everyday Oils, already contains seven of the oils recommended above. So you can begin to build up your First Aid Kit using the enrollment fee!